The tomato-growing experiment is proving very successful. So far we’ve had a few a day for about a week and I’ve learned the following:
1) The cherry varieties fare really well if left to sprawl - brown berry, snow berry, orange berry and gardener’s delight have all fruited so far and there are plenty of trusses on the plant.
2) The larger tomatoes should have been looked after better - they’re a mess and the fruits are too heavy for the stems so there’s been lots of falling over going on. I’ve cut back quite a lot of leaves to let light through to the fruit - at one point they were all attempting to ripen in shade.
3) I should have labelled them better. It’s quite hard to know when a green tomato is ripe if you’re not aware it’s a green tomato. I’ve picked two of the summer cider variety so far and both have been a bit rotten on the base, presumably because they were picked too late - they’re ripe when they’re apricot yellow.
4) So far, so blight free. The system of planting in pots over gravel so that the roots can seek out their own water, keeping them near a fence to stop too much rain falling on them and watering with tap water seems to be working.
5) This year they’re all been fed with BBQ ash only, despite the huge bottle of tomorite in the shed. The flavours have been universally excellent, but the yield on the larger plants could be improved. With better labelling, it would be good next year to feed some of the bigger ones. The cherries are sweet and very productive with what they’ve got.
4 years ago
• 0 notes